Sunday, July 13, 2008

Party On...A little bit early

Happy Bastille Day

Happy Bastille Day to my French friends. I know the official day is July 14th but I also know the celebrations have begun. Years ago while living in Switzerland, I had the opportunity to attend a Bastille Day party given by a French friend. It was as Patriotic as any July 4th celebration at home in the U.S. I am quoting a French friend (You know who you are, lol) who gave me the cliff notes version of why Bastille day is celebrated. I apologize if the story is too brief but you can always fill in the blanks.



"The year was 1789. The mood was one of despair and hopelessness. A group of very upset Parisians stormed the Bastille (a prison and fortress where upscale prisoners were held). At the time, only 7 prisoners were being held there. The crowd was hoping to capture ammunition.

The storming of the Bastille gave the message that the King's (Louis XVI) power was no longer absolute. This was the beginning of the end for the monarchy". Remember, there is more to the story just like July4th has a very long story.

To celebrate there are parades, fireworks, picnic's and just plain old fun.
Many cities in the U.S. have Bastille Day celebrations. Since Phoenix doesn't celebrate, I will have to have a mini celebration.

Au Revoir, I am off to celebrate

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always good to be informed of history. I did not know that. But then I was not the best student in the world either. No telling what all I missed!
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb, it is so nice to meet you and thanks you for coming to see me today! Oh, we've traveled to Paris a few times - and what a city. Never had the opportunity to be there on a major holiday tho. I've scrolled thru your blog a bit and am blown away by the sidewalk artist! My goodness - his work is just amazing! Well, you come and see me any ole time and I'll come and visit you!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Thanks for sharing this interesting information. The music goes with it perfectly. Please, stop by again! Terrie

Charm and Grace said...

Vive la France! I always love getting a history lesson without it really feeling like "school"!! Party on...

Sunday blessings,
Christi

a woman who is said...

Oh that must have been a fun party. I love the music with the post! I have a good friend who just arrived in France to start a new job. His first day will be Tuesday because of the celebration. Let's hope he shares some picture with us. His wife is over at

http://makeminepink1.blogspot.com/

She will be joining him next summer.

I might have already told her about you...?

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Barb!
Thank you for the mini history lesson,I couldn't remember the story til you reminded us!
Your post on the necklaces is great. I hopped over to The Beautiful Life and took a look at the video. What an excellent cause!
Hugs, Sherry
Great music!

Lorrie said...

Enjoy your Bastille Day celebrations! French history is fascinating.

Lorrie

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Barb!
It seems a shame there is not more celebration for Bastile Day in the US! We will have to make our own celebration....you ahve put me in the mood.

I had fun at an italian festival this weekend. It has been celebrated 121 years in a row!

Thanks for you well wishes --I'm doing much better!

Related Posts with Thumbnails